Jobs at Univ of Amsterdam (Asst Prof level)
See this link for 3 new posts at the Univ of Amsterdam http://hum.uva.nl/actueel/vacatures.cfm/1A0B5DFC-379C-4EBF-99293C99866B70B1
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strongly international profile in a large number of disciplines in the field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the Faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. There are almost 1,000 employees affiliated with the Faculty, which has about 8,000 students.
New impulses are required in order to further develop education and research in the field of language and culture into committed humanities. A humanities perspective provides the insight necessary to both understand and steer all sorts of social developments, for example relating to information and communication technology.
Therefore, the Faculty of Humanities is looking for academics who can serve as the new generation of lecturers. Candidates are expected to hold a PhD degree and to have a background in the humanities. Outstanding didactic qualities and an affinity with students are required. It is crucial that candidates are able to combine solid research with appealing teaching. Moreover, it goes without saying that they should also be familiar with the latest developments in their field. Furthermore, the new UvA academics will contribute to the Faculty's envisioned expansion and modernisation by bridging the gap between the various disciplines. Consequently, all lecturers must be capable of teaching courses for more then one specific study programme.
The Faculty of Humanities offers you the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that - partly as a result of their multidisciplinary approach - are world-renowned. Moreover, you will be teaching in a dynamic context in which new educational methods are being developed.
Together with the other new assistant professors you will participate in a comprehensive introductory programme. You will be supervised closely during the first year of your appointment. Additional didactical training is also part of the appointment. Based on the candidate's educational portfolio, previously acquired competences will be taken into consideration. The introductory programme includes earning the 'basic training qualification'.
The Faculty invites applications for an
Assistant Professor New Media and Digital Culture
for 38 hours per week
vacancy number W12-043
The ideal candidate would have familiarity with the study of digital media in the humanities, and have made acquaintance with such areas as digital humanities, information aesthetics and visualization, Internet studies, media arts, media history, media theory, social media and/or virtual ethnography. Internet skills are essential, as is up-to-date knowledge of Internet culture. Practical experience in working with Web-based applications (e.g., blogs and wikis) is desirable.
The new media and digital culture team is part of the Media Studies department and concerns itself with research strategies for the critical study of Internet culture. The Assistant Professor is expected to teach on both the bachelor's and master's degree levels, in courses concerned with such topics as digital journalism, digital aesthetics, Internet research methods and techniques, media archaeology as well as the politics of code. Candidates also should have a new media research agenda.
- teaching and developing teaching activities both as part of and outside the Media and Culture programme;
- (co-)supervising Bachelor's and Master's theses;
- independently conducting research in the area mentioned, resulting in contributions to leading international publications;
- co-supervising PhD candidates;
- making a contribution to raising contract and indirect funding.
- relevant PhD degree;
- experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by publications in renowned international professional journals / book form;
- teaching experience at the university level and demonstrable didactic abilities and / or training, evidence by an educational portfolio;
- experience with digital and audio-visual equipment; affinity with ICT in academic education;
- team spirit and capable of functioning at all levels of more than one study programme;
- willingness to develop in a multidisciplinary capacity in order to be able to participate in multiple areas of the Faculty's curriculum;
- organisational experience and skills;
- thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve fluency in Dutch within two years.
As a result of the Faculty policy pertaining to the flexibilisation of its workforce, this vacancy has been marked as a ‘transfer position’. Transfer positions are only part-time. This means that when a staff member is employed in a transfer position, he/she will not be given a permanent contract and will be required to transfer to a new position within the UvA when the period of employment formally ends. If no alternative position is available at the University, termination of employment will follow. In such cases, the University will provide the necessary support.
There are three vacant positions for the assistant professor New Media:
- For the 1,0 position, the initial appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of two years. Subject to satisfactory performance, this will be followed by a permanent appointment.
- For two positions (0,8 and 0,7) appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of no more than two years. There will be no permanent position for these two positions.
You are asked to let us know in the application, if you are applying for only the permanent position, or also for the temporary positions.
The gross monthly salary will range from € 3,195 (scale 11) - € 4,970 (scale 12), based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week).
Applications should include a curriculum vitae and should be sent before 24 March 2012 to the Universiteit van Amsterdam, to the attention of the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Prof.dr. F.P.I.M. van Vree, Spuistraat 210, 1012 VT Amsterdam.
Please state the vacancy number in the upper left corner of the envelope, and make clear in your application which position(s) you are applying for (permanent or also temporary position).You may also submit your application by e-mail; firstname.lastname@example.org. In this case please state the vacancy number in the subject field.The selection process will include a trial lecture.
Published 6 March 2012
Source: Communications Services