We are happy to invite you to participate in the ECREA European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School 2022 that will take place at the University of Cádiz, Cádiz, Spain, from 24-30 July 2022.
The ECREA European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School 2022 brings together members of the European research community to debate contemporary issues in media, communication, and cultural studies. The main emphasis of this summer school is on providing structural and individuated PhD-support for young European scholars, through a variety of working forms, including feedback seminars, workshops, and lectures. The summer school aims to provide a supportive international setting where doctoral students can present their ongoing work, receive feedback on their PhD-projects from international experts and meet students and academics from other countries, establishing valuable contacts for the future.
The summer school is open to the full variety of academic work in the broad field of communication and media studies. All PhD projects within the field of communication and media studies are welcomed. We especially encourage PhD students in the middle of their studies to apply, as in our experience, participation in this phase of the study has yielded best support for the participants.
The working language of the summer school will be English; therefore a sufficient understanding and ability to express oneself in this language is expected.
Registration fee at the summer school will be:
- 915 Euros for the ECREA members and
- 990 Euros for the non-members of ECREA.
Participation in the summer school will include:
– Accommodation in single rooms for the whole duration of the summer school, including breakfast.
– Welcome and farewell reception and cocktail.
– Wi-Fi at the summer school venue.
– Summer school materials.
– Coffee in the breaks.
– Lunch from Monday to Friday.
The program of the summer school will include:
– Feedback sessions: you will receive feedback to your PhD project.
– Lectures, round tables, Q&As and other academic activities.
– Methodological workshops.
– Social networking and leisure activities.
The University of Cádiz will provide certificates of attendance to all those who participate during the full program. The organizers of the summer school are also seeking an opportunity to publish selected research papers based on the PhD projects presented in the summer school in an international peer reviewed journal on the field or as chapters in an edited book with a reference publisher on the field. The total number of students will be limited to 42. Participants are expected to participate in the program for its whole duration.
ECREA will be awarding 12+1 grants (at least one grant, but perhaps more will be awarded to doctoral students who are members of ALAIC) for participation at the Summer School for students who are unable to otherwise raise registration and travel fee. More information on the grants is available at the ECREA WEBSITE (https://ecrea.eu/page-18213). There is a separate application and selection procedure to apply for these grants.
When applying, each interested student is expected fill out a form on the ECREA website (https://ecrea.eu/page-18213). This application form will include:
- a short bio (300 words) according to the provided forms.
- a 500 word abstract of the PhD project.
The deadline for submitting the application is February 24, 2022. Notification of acceptance will be sent during the first half of March 2022.
Students whose abstracts are accepted will be expected to provide the following documents and information in the second phase:
- A 10-page (3000 words) paper on their PhD project as a whole. The 10-page paper should be a report of the student’s ongoing doctoral research and not a conventional conference paper or a report of findings. Rather, it is expected that the student will briefly present the focus of the research and then take up aspects of the research process: methodological, theoretical and practical issues on which he/she would like to receive feedback. Deadline: June 30, 2022.
- A set of questions (maximum 1 page) with questions or problems that students would like to be discussed during the workshops, round tables and Q &A sessions. This one page needs to be part of the same Word/PDF file that also contains the 10-page paper. Deadline: June 30, 2022.
- By the start of the Summer School, each student has to prepare a 10-minute seminar presentation covering the main points of their work. Each student is also expected to actively participate in the discussions of their own and other people’s work, especially those of whom he/she is a respondent. In order to ensure maximum benefits of the seminars, everyone will have to read other participants papers before the Summer School begins.
The deadline for applications for the Summer School is February 24, 2022 (midnight CET).
For issues related to the programme: email@example.com
For issues related to the application and registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information here